On the day of writing this article, a feeling of -10°C is showing on the thermometer. Winter is coming and may be faster than I thought. Squash season is in full swing, so why not warm you up with some delicious butternut squash and pear soup! Yes pear…
While doing some research for new recipes, I came across an awesome book on matching product flavors : the flavor bible. Unfortunately, they don’t sell it anymore in french… Sot I am doing all the little secondhand book shops to see if I can find it.
In this book, it was stated that the squash went very well with… pear. I looked for a long time to find what to make as a recipe and then I decided to keep it simple for my first.
This recipe will also be the introduction of non sweet recipes on the blog. As you can imagine, I don’t just cook cakes ^^ and I also want to share with you my favorites and my savory recipe tests.
A few words about the recipe
I kept it very simple for this recipe; no excessive spices, just chicken broth to spice it up a little.
Squash: I had butternut squash because it’s my favorite, but if you’re worried that the soup will be too sweet, you can do it with acorn squash.
Pears: you will not need a lot for this recipe, 2 is enough. I took Rochas pears because they are the ones that I think have the most flavor.
Chicken broth: Personally, I take powdered chicken broth and mix it with water. But you can do it yourself or take it already fully prepared in brick.
The materials you will need to make this butternut and pear soup
A large pot that is high enough and either a blender or a hand blender. Personally I prefer to mix everything in the blender, it goes faster 😊.
- 1 small butternut- around 700 g of peeled butternut
- 2 potatoes
- 2 pears
- 750 ml of chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Cut the butternut squash, remove the seeds and skin. peel the potatoes.
- In a large pot, brown the potatoes and squash in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer.
- Halfway through cooking, about 20 minutes after starting to cook, peel the pears, cut them in half and remove the core. Add them to the mixture on the heat and continue to simmer.
- When the vegetables are cooked, turn off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put everything in a blender and mix it.
Oz & cups
700 g of peeled butternut = 25 oz
750 ml of chicken broth = 3 cups