A few weeks ago, during a challenge on Instagram, co-hosted by A sweet point of view, a food photographer whose work I admire so much, I had the opportunity to come back to the photos of my first recipe posted on my blog, a cookies recipe. The challenge was to re-photograph one of his first photos. It had been a while since I was looking for a recipe that suited me, soft and crunchy cookies! After some research, testing, and disappointment, today I can offer you THE cookies recipe, caramel chocolate chips and nuts cookies.
My inspiration for this recipe
I was inspired by the recipe from the Made in Clems french blog and also thanks to it, I now know how to have almost perfect round cookies! I show you the trick in the video below.
The secret for this recipe ?
There are two « secrets » on this caramel chocolate chips and nuts cookies.
- The melted butter which gives the cookies softness.
- Resting the dough overnight, which according to my research results in soft and crunchy cookies… And they are!
A few words on this Caramel chocolate chips and nuts cookies recipe
Roast the nuts: in a dry pan. That is, without fat and on high heat for about five minutes. This will enhance the flavors of the nuts, and give a subtle sweet toasted taste.
Nuts: take the ones that you want. On my first try I made these delicious cookies with walnuts then, another time, with pecans. Both go very well, but you can also use hazelnuts for example, treat yourself!
Butter: as indicated above this time we will melt the butter. Do this at the start of the recipe, it will give the butter time to cool a little before adding it to the sugar. For the technique, you can melt it either in a bain-marie or in the microwave. If you are using a microwave, do so in 30 second increments.
Caramelized chocolate: this is a special chocolate from my favorite brand Cacao Barry that I use for this recipe, caramelized milk chocolate.
Resting time: this time the dough is left to rest overnight.
Don’t want to make all 18 cookies in one single time ?
If you don’t want to make all the cookies at once, you can freeze the dough.
The technique to freeze this caramel chocolate chips and nuts cookies ?
- Form the cookie balls with an ice cream scoop.
- Let them firm up for about 15 minutes in the fridge (this will prevent the balls from deforming when placing them in the freezer.)
- Place them in a Ziploc and put everything in the freezer.
So you can either take them all out when you want to make them or take out a few when you want a little cookie.
I recommend to keep them not more than a month in the freezer.
Caramel chocolate chips and nuts cookies
- 200 g butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 50 g white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 1/2 cc almond extract
- 1 cc vanilla extract
- 300 g flour
- 1 cc baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g chocolate
- 70 g lacté caramel chocolate from Cacao Barry
- 100 g nuts
- Crush the nuts, and dry roast them for 2-3 minutes in a pan using a wooden spoon. Never stop stirring. Let cool.
- Melt butter in the microwave or in a sauce pan.
- Mix the butter and the sugars together, until an homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Add the egg, yolk, vanilla extract and almond extract, mix it.
- Add flour, the chocolate and the nuts.
- when everything is well incorporate, let the cookie dough rest overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 180 ° C / 350 ° F
- Using an ice cream scoop or a cookie spoon, form balls of dough, place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 min.
Cups & oz
200 g butter = 7 oz
150 g brown sugar = 3/4 cup
50 g white sugar = 1/3 cup
300 g flour = 2 cups
100 g black chocolate = 3.5 oz
70 g lacté caramel chocolate from cacao barry = 2.4 oz
100 g nuts = 3.5 oz
If you have enough space in your fridge form the cookies with an ice cream scoop before putting them in the fridge overnight.