The end of the year celebrations are approaching. Let’s face it, they may be a little less fun than in the previous years, but nothing prevents you from making a pretty Christmas tree and thinking about gift ideas to give to friends and family who are far, when the time will comes to meet again. This is why I am offering you today a recipe of cookies in a jar, an ideal gift idea to give for the holiday season and that will not empty your wallet.
What’s in the jar
This jar will contain all the dry ingredients to make the cookies: flour, baking powder, sugars, chocolate and nuts.
The fun thing about this gift idea is that it’s customizable. You can replace dark chocolate chips with milk chocolate or white chocolate or a mixture of both. Vary with the type of nuts… the possibilities are endless.
A few words about the cookies in a jar recipe
In the recipe card below, I will tell you two things:
- How to make the jars with the right amount of ingredients.
- How to prepare them
For the preparation, it’s super easy. Just mix together the melted butter, egg and vanilla flavoring. Then add the the dry ingredients to the previous mixture. Let stand in the fridge. Cook for 10 minutes and your cookies are ready.
And if you no longer remember the technique for having whole-round cookies, I invite you to watch the video of my caramel chocolate chips and nut cookies
How to make perfect layers
I personally use an honey spoon that is flat to help spread the ingredients and make them flat enough to have a nice result.
My little bonus for this gift idea for Christmas
Just a little something from me that might help you if you decide to give my fabulous cookies in a jar. This is a label made by me to hang on the jar with the recipe instructions.
I recommend that you print it on card stock or thicker than a regular sheet.
- In the Jar
- 180 g flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 90 g brown sugar
- 30 g white sugar
- 100 g chocolate
- 30 g nuts
To prepare the cookies
- 120 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- Mix together the flour and the baking powder
- Put every ingredients in the jar one after the others. Put first the flour, then the brown sugar and the white one, the chocolate chips and the nuts. You can use a flat spoon as a honey spoon to make regular layers
To prepare the cookies
- Melt the butter and let cool. Add the egg and the vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Add the ingredients in the jar to the previous mixture and mix.
- Let cool in the fridge for 2 hours
- Take out of the fridge, form balls with a cookies spoon, crush them lightly and place them on a cookies sheet.
- Cook in a preheat oven at 375°F/180°C for 10 minutes.
Cups and onces
180 g flour = 2 cups
90 g brown sugar = 1/2 cup
30 g white sugar= 3 tbsp
100 g chocolate = 3,5 oz
30 g nuts = 1,05 oz
120 g butter = 4,2 oz