Look no further, you have just found the perfect cake for your layer cakes. Very well known in the world of cake design, the molly cake is a must. It’s a very moist cake. You can prepare it several days in advance without it drying out. Compared to its sister, the sponge cake, which I often find too dry. This cake is perfect for layered cakes. But you can also eat it as is for the dessert.
His particuliarity ?
There is no butter in this cake, it is replaced with whipped cream. But be careful not the whipped cream bought already ready. You will need liquid cream with a minimum of 30% fat that you will whip.
The material I use
For the molly cake I use a stand mixer. For me, it is essential in this recipe because you have to beat the eggs and sugar for a very long time at high speed for about 20 min. The robot works for me while I go to drink myself a little lemonade 😉 Nothing prevents you from working with an electric mixer. I just find that in this recipe, the robot is much more practical. I also use an PME mold that is 10 cm high and 15 cm in diameter.
A few tips
Molly cake for the cake design:
- You have to leave it at least overnight in the fridge. The best is to prepare it the day before the assembly of your cake.
- I also advise you to soak it in a simple syrup, even if it is less dry than the sponge cake, it helps if it has to stay several days in the fridge.
- An PME mold is always ideal for making tall cakes, but if you don’t have one, you can always divide the dough and bake it in 2 different molds.
About the recipe
Whipped cream: Choose an heavy cream or minimum 35% fat otherwise the cream will not rise. Small tips for people in Quebec, it is possible to whip a 35% table cream in whipped cream I have already tested 😉
The mix of eggs and sugar: the most important step is to whisk them at very high speed until the mixture turns white and triples in volume. This step is quite long. It can take up to 20 minutes. But the game is worth the candle!
Unmoulding: Do not unmold your molly cake right away, wait a few minutes
- 200 g sugar
- 250 g Heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp liquid vanilla
- Preheat your oven at 350°C/325°F
- Whip the cream into firm and set aside in the fridge.
- Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer. Whisk on high speed, until the mixture becomes white and triples in volume. that will take around 15 minutes.
- Change the wire whip accessorize to the flat beater. In very low speed, incorporate the sifted flour in 3 times, then the whipped cream. Scrape the edges of your bowl to be sure that all the mixture will be well incorporated.
- Put the preparation in buttered and floured baking pan.
- Cook for 1 h 30
- You will need heavy cream to do this recipe 35% fat minimum.
- If you do not have a high mold you can take 2 mold of the same size.
Measure in cup
Note that I measure myself the ingredients with my personal cups they could be a bit different of yours depending in which country you are. just for an example my 1 cup is 250 ml
200 g sugar = 1 cup + 1 Tbspn
250 g heavy cream = 1 cup = 8.8 oz
250 g all purpose flour = 1 1/2 cup = 7 oz